Here is my latest page created for Sarah's Cards June Challenge. I usually find working with simple sketches quite hard, as i never know how to start, and worry my pages will end up looking too plain. However i dont think that has happened in this case!
I thought it looked like a good sketch to finally try out an idea i have wanted to try for a while using my craft robo. So yesterday evening i designed the heart and circle background file (i think this might work great as a mask with mists too...so will give that a try sometime too), and cut it out on grey paper. I just love the grey/yellow/aqua colour combinations that are so popular right now.
I then stuck small pieces of scraps behind some of the hearts (scraps include BG, MME, OA, Glitter card and Scenic Route). I tried layering this on top of several different colours...and at first i struggle to find a good background colour choice.....it needed to have enough contrast against the grey (white or dark grey wasnt doing it), i didnt want the page to be on black as i felt that was just too dark, blue or yellow just didnt work as it didnt allow the heart shapes to 'pop'. In the end i think the kraft card works well, and i like the grid print that just adds a little more interest without being overwhelming at all.
I then went back to the sketch and layered up my photo and some of the scraps to form a place to put my title. The photo was taken a few years ago, of my two sons. I think the greyscale photo fits in with the page well, and i like there are no other colours trying to confuse my colour scheme....though in general i prefer to scrap in colour, as i think you often lose some of the captured details etc in black and white.
I sprayed an off cut of paper doily with aqua coloured mist to stick under the photo. Another thing i finally got to try, which i have been meaning to for a while, is to make my own flower with my scallop punch. I really like how that works, it means that it can co-ordinate with the other papers in the layout perfectly! I finished the page off with some alphabet titles and a date stamp, and added some yellow patterned brads and bakers twine for a little more interest and depth.